Monday, November 17, 2014

DUCK SOUP (1933)




















So having been gone for awhile, we’ll pretend I went back in time to bring you this.  




This is my absolute favorite b/w film.  Staring the Marx Brothers (no, not Karl and Carlo), and their classic antics.  Duck Soup currently stands as number 60 on AFI’s list of top 100 movies of all time.  This is not very far up the list, but keep in mind how many movies are out there.  Well over one hundred.  It follows the path of Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) and his dictatorship-esc leadership of the country of Freedonia.  With classic one-liners like:

Mrs. Teasdale: Notables from every country are gathered here in your honor. This is a gala day for you.
Rufus T. Firefly: Well, a gal a day is enough for me. I don't think I could handle any more.

And song lyrics, like:

Rufus T. Firefly:  The last guy nearly ruined this place, he didn't know what to do with it.  If you think this country's bad off now, just wait 'till I get through with it.

If you like sarcasm, and terrible jokes even a fraction of how much I do, I highly recommend this film.   It also has one of the greatest, and committedly quiet jokes I have ever seen in a talking film.  I strongly suggest you take the 3 minutes to watch this, even if you’ve seen it before.  I’m laughing right now as I watch it. 




The Marx Brothers are one of the main contributions to my love of older movies, and terrible jokes.  My mother is probably very disappointed in the latter.  I grew up on these movies, and they’ve helped shape me, for better or worse.  Here is a link to this film and if you haven’t seen it, I suggest you brush up.  


Hope you enjoy this, and hopefully I'll be back more often.

10/10

1 comment: