Wednesday, October 1, 2014

IRON MAN



Okay, so this was Marvel studio's first introduction to the Avengers.  As seen on previous posts, we are going to ignore The Hulk.  For all intensive purposes, The Hulk does not exist outside of The Avengers (2012).  So, being the FIRST introduction to the Avengers, Iron Man had to carry a lot of weight.  I find if difficult to believe that anyone reading this is not aware of who Iron Man is, as the Marvel universe has become a pretty large part of our society (something about which I am very happy).  But, in case you don't know, I will give you a brief overview.

Tony Stark is the character that inhabits the suit that is Iron Man.  Tony Stark is Bruce Wayne with a social conscience, and greater intelligence (this is not to say Bruce Wayne is stupid, but he kind of is compared to Tony Stark).  I say that he has a social conscience because, in the movies at least, he learns his company is doing something immoral, and he tries to change it, and uses his intelligence and good fortune to help people.  This may be through theatrics and violence, but who doesn't do that? *cough* BATMAN *cough*

Anyway, I remember not knowing anything about Iron Man other than that he was a superhero, and that I liked Robert Downey Jr. in the one other movie I had seen him in.  So, naturally, being 16 and pretty nerdy yet having no prior knowledge of this character, I freaked out upon seeing the trailer.


I mean, look at all those explosions!  What's not to love?  Who even cares about the story?  Robert Downey Jr. is causing explosions and created a big metal suit that has laser blasts.  Don't confuse my sarcasm for not enjoying this movie.  I love this movie, but after re-watching that trailer, I realize why 16 year old me loved it too.  Finally, nerdy things were cool again.  And this started a golden age of fandom that has continued far past my younger self's dreams. 

I have not talked about this movie at all, so here's the rest of what you need to know.  That trailer was a teaser.  This movie is about far more.  It's about responsibility, it's about being able to live with your decisions, and it's a little bit about blowing things up.  It's about relationships, and subverting expectations, and owning up to who you are.  Tony Stark is Iron Man.  Bruce Wayne might be Batman, it would explain how Batman can afford all his toys.  Clark Kent might be Superman, they look awfully similar, and Clark is the worst reporter ever (as he always misses the excitement).  But Tony Stark IS Iron Man.  I love everything this movie has to offer, and I think it's an important movie to look deeper into.

9/10

Think I give too high of ratings?  Well tell me that, or I'm just going to keep my grading scale ridiculously easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment